iPads are capable of loading Kindle format ebooks (using the Kindle app) as well as EPUB format ebooks and MP3 audiobooks (using the Overdrive Media Console app). Please note that due to publisher restrictions, not every title is available in the Library on the Go! collection.
You can borrow up to 5 titles at a time.
You must have an internet connection before you can begin.
For EPUB Ebooks and Audiobooks:
1. Using your iPad, go to the App Store and search for Overdrive Media Console. Once you find it, install and open it.
2. When Overdrive Media Console loads, tap Sign Up and fill out the form to create an Overdrive account.
a. If you already have an Overdrive account, tap Sign In instead.
3. Tap the three parallel lines at the top left corner to access the Menu. Tap on Add a library and search for the library by name or zip code. Once you find the library, tap the star to add it to your favorites.
Once you have completed these steps the first time, you will not have to do this again unless you update or re-install the app.
Downloading an Ebook or an Audiobook:
1. Tap the three parallel lines to access the Menu. Under My Libraries, tap on the name of your library.
2. Tap Sign In at the top right corner of the Library on the Go! page. Type in your library card number (without spaces) and tap Sign In.
3. To search, type in the title you are looking for into the search box and tap the magnifying glass.
To browse, tap on the genre of ebook or audiobook that you are interested in.
4. Ebooks that are unavailable have a gray book icon in the top right corner of the cover (audiobooks have a headphone icon). Tap on the cover, then tap Place a Hold to join the waiting list. When the book is available for you, you will receive an email notification. You will have 3 days to check the book out before you lose your place in line (unless you have automatic checkout).
5. Ebooks that are available for checkout have a dark book icon in the top right corner of the cover (audiobooks have a headphone icon). Tap on the cover, then tap Borrow to check out.
6. For ebooks: Tap Download and select Adobe EPUB. Then tap Confirm & Download. The ebook will be added to your Overdrive Media Console Bookshelf.
For audiobooks: Tap Download and then tap Download (MP3 Audiobook). The audiobook will be added to your Overdrive Media Console Bookshelf.
7. Tap on the three parallel lines to access the Menu. Tap on Bookshelf to access your ebook or audiobook.
8. Tap on the cover to open a title.
Ebooks in the public domain (provided by Project Gutenberg) are always available for checkout – these titles have no due date and don’t count against your 5 title checkout limit. These ebooks are only available in the EPUB ebook format.
Downloading a Free (Public Domain) Ebook:
1. Using your iPad, open Overdrive Media Console. Access the menu – under My Libraries, tap on the name of your library.
2. On the Library on the Go! main page, scroll down to the center of the page, until you see a box that says Additional eBooks Always Available. Tap on this box to access the public domain ebooks.
3. Once you find a public domain ebook, tap Download. The ebook will be added to your Overdrive Media Console Bookshelf.
Returning an Ebook or Audiobook:
1. On your Overdrive Media Console Bookshelf, place and hold your finger on the cover of the title you wish to return.
2. Three options will pop up: Delete, Return, Share.
Delete will remove the title from your Bookshelf, but the title will still be checked out.
Return will remove the title from your Bookshelf and your account.
Share will allow you to recommend the title to other people via email, Facebook, Goodreads, and Twitter (You will need to have an account with those sites in order to do this).
3. Tap Return. Tap Return again to confirm.
Ebooks and audiobooks will automatically return themselves after the checkout period has ended. However, the information for the title will remain on your device until you delete it.
For Kindle Format Ebooks:
Please consult the Kindle App ebook instruction guide.
Last update: 2015/03