Catalog Q & A
Having trouble on our web site and need some information? Try some of our handy solutions to frequently asked questions.
Do I need a pin number to access “My Account ” in the Library Catalog?
You might. If you don't know your PIN #, try leaving it blank or using your birth year. If you are unsuccessful, call one of our Branch Locations during our hours of operation. We will reset your PIN.
I need to renew my items and I can't do it online right now. What are my alternatives?
Call one of our Branch Locations during our regular operating hours.
What is my library card number and how should I enter it?
When using the library's electronic resources, you may be prompted to enter your library ID, Barcode, or library card number. When asked for this information, you may generally enter the 14 digit code below the barcode on the back of your Monmouth County Library card. Enter the number without spaces.
Some electronic resources may require other information. If other information is required, follow the directions on the Monmouth County web page for that particular database.
I can't get into certain electronic resources at home? What's wrong?
Perhaps you’re trying electronic resources that are only available in the library during our hours of operation. To find out more information about these online databases see our Databases for Articles & Digital Reference Books pages.
Sometimes, computer firewalls interfere with accessing online databases. Some users have found it helpful to temporarily disable a firewall, network filters, or other security software while using the Library’s online electronic resources.
Some electronic resources require a recent web browser version (new versions of Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc.) to permit access. If you have an older web browser, you might want to consider updating it.
Are your cookies enabled? See: What is a cookie? Some of the library’s electronic resources require that your web browser be set to accept cookies. For information on setting your browser to accept cookies visit How to Set and Customize Cookies Settings in Internet Explorer or Netscape Managing Cookies, Specifying How (and if) Cookies Are Accepted.
I've tried everything and still can't connect. What now?
Call one of our Branch Locations during our hours of operation.
How do I need to access eBooks?
Your 14-digit library card number (issued by Monmouth County Library Branch Location or Member Location) is required to access the collection remotely. If you require further assistance to use this eBook collection, contact a librarian at any Branch Location with your Monmouth County Library card identification number during the Library’s hours of operation.
- On the upper right hand corner, click the Renew/Search Only link.
- Click List Charged Items.
- Click Renew All or Renew Selected Items and click the items you want to renew.
- Click Renew Selected Items.
- Click Ok after items are renewed successfully.
(During the renewal period)
If you renew past midnight, it is counted as the next day. Items may only be renewed three times online or by telephone.
Items will not renew if:
Please note: **There is a limit of 30 item requests for each patron.**
- On the upper right hand corner, search for your item.
- Select your pickup library from the drop-down menu and click the Search button.
- Click the Place Hold link.
- Type in your 14-digit library card number (without spaces) and click Place Hold.
- Click Ok after placing hold successfully.
- In the "PIN" field, type your PIN number if you have one.
- Click the My Account link.
- Go to User PIN Change.
- Type your 14-digit library card number (without spaces).
- Type your PIN number (if you had it reset, leave it blank).
- Enter new PIN number.
- Re-enter new PIN number.
- Click Change PIN.
- Click Ok after getting confirmation.