1. Go to Adobe.com and create an account with them so that you will have a user name and password. This will be your Adobe ID that you can use for new any computers or devices you wish to authorize in the future.
Note: This part of the instructions applies to first time users of most eReaders other than Kindle and Sony PRS-T1. Once these steps have been completed and user continues to use the same computer and device/reader, it will not be necessary to repeat them.
2. Using the My Help! Link from the Library on the Go! welcome page (click on Get Started), you will be walked through the process of downloading and installing Adobe Digital Editions or the Overdrive Media Console (for supported mobile devices ). You should be then prompted to authorize your computer (or iPad, Android device, etc.). If you are not prompted to authorize your computer, go to step 3. Otherwise you are ready to download an eBook.
3. Activate Adobe Digital Editions on your computer:
- Open Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
- Click on Help.
- Click on Authorize Computer.
- Enter your Adobe user name (email address) and password.
- Click Authorize.
4. Download the eBook that you have checked out from the library.
Searching for eBooks in MCL Library on the Go
1. Go to Library on the Go. Point to the Library Catalog link on the left and click on the Library on the Go link when it appears.
2. Browse eBook titles from the links provided on the left side of the screen or use the white search box in the center. If you are using the search box, be sure to click in the little radio button in the drop down menu next to eBooks. You can also just click on the Advanced Search link that appears at the bottom of the search box drop down menu. In Advanced Search you can utilize helpful limiters such as book format (EPUB, audio book, eBooks for Kindle).
3. Choose a title in EPUB format (not Kindle users) and click Add to Cart (NOTE: if the title is already checked out you will only be able to add yourself to the waiting list).
4. Click Proceed to checkout.
5. Login with Library name and card number if you have not already done so.
6. Choose either 7 day or 14 day checkout. Click Confirm checkout.
7. Click Download to save a copy of the book on your computer.
NOTE: If you wish, you can limit your search to items that are currently available for checkout by checking in the box under the search fields from the Advanced Search page
Transfer Adobe eBooks to your eReader
1.Connect your reader to the computer.
2. The Adobe Digital Editions “Authorize Device” window will pop up (first time users).
3. Click “Authorize Device”
4. Adobe Digital Editions will now recognize your reader, and will list it within the “Bookshelves” area of the Adobe Digital Editions window. Look for the reader (Nook, Sony etc.) name and/or icon.
5.To move books on to the reader, drag and drop them on to the reader icon.
NOTE: If you connected your reader to the computer BEFORE activating and authorizing the computer, you may have to uninstall Adobe Digital Editions, then reinstall it and reauthorize the computer in order for it to authorize the reader.
Downloading Epub Books to Android Phones, iPhones, Blackberry Smartphones, and iPads
1. Go to Adobe.com and set up a user name (email address) and password.
2. Download OverDrive Media Console for Android, iPhone, or iPad. It is linked from the Help button on welcome page on the Library on the Go mobile version of the welcome page.
3. At the end of the installation of the Media Console, you will be prompted to authorize the device using the Adobe user name and password that you established earlier.
4. Using the device go to Library on the Go and select an eBook. Once the eBook has been checked out, click the download button.
eBooks for Kindle Users
eBooks that are available in EPUB format should also available for Kindle users. Users of Kindles need not follow the setup instructions provided above.
- Kindle users should select the Kindle format instead of EPUB format and check it out.
- Once it has been checked out, click “Get for Kindle”. You will be directed to Amazon.com.
- Click on the link that says Get Library Book.
- You will be prompted to sign in using your Amazon.com user name and password. Amazon.com delivers the book to the Kindle.
Amazon.com handles all technical support.